Many people experience an episode of depression at some point in their life that can leave them feeling sad and empty. Persistent depressive disorder involves these same symptoms, but can last for years without intervention. It is a disorder that affects over 3% of people, and while the emptiness you feel may not be as intense as other forms of depression, its longevity can significantly decrease your quality of life.
Aware Behavioral Health provides psychiatric treatment for persistent depressive disorder in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Dr. Sehdev takes the time to learn about our patients and their struggles so that we can respond with innovative and effective treatments. Learn more about our approach to persistent depressive disorder treatment in Dallas when you call us at 888-677-4562.
What Is Persistent Depressive Disorder?
Persistent depressive disorder, which may also be called dysthymia or chronic depression, has ongoing physical and mental symptoms of depression. The symptoms may come and go, as well as be more intense at times, but they rarely go away. They can include:
- Low, down, or dark mood.
- Little interest in regular activities.
- Unable to feel happy in response to happy situations or events.
- Ongoing pessimism or hopelessness.
- Low self-esteem and frequent self criticism.
- Trouble concentrating.
- Overeating or having a lack of appetite.
- Insomnia or lack of energy.
- Feelings of guilt or focus on past negative events.
Although not as extreme as the similar symptoms of major depressive disorder, the chronic symptoms of dysthymia can impact your effectiveness and enjoyment of work, relationships, social activities, and your interests.
These symptoms must last for at least 2 years in adults to be considered persistent depressive disorder, or 1 year in teenagers. Because of their ongoing nature, the persistent depressive disorder can feel like a part of your personality rather than a mental health condition, and it may lead people who know you to describe you as a “pessimistic” or “depressed” person.
Yet psychiatrists recognize this as a mental health condition that we can diagnose and treat. Dr. Sehdev can work with you to determine if your chronic depression is a result of persistent depressive disorder or another form of depression, and create a treatment that meets your needs.
Our Treatment Solutions for Persistent Depressive Disorder
Persistent depressive disorder can be a result of a traumatic event, intense stress, or other biological causes. After its onset, the lasting nature of this form of depression can make it seem like a fact of life. Our therapy for depression uses a variety of tools to manage symptoms and improve your overall emotional wellbeing.
We look at your mental health in its entirety. For many patients, persistent depressive disorder can be accompanied by episodes of clinical depression or anxiety disorders. We also consider the severity of your symptoms, how long they have lasted, and any treatments you have used in the past. With this information, we can choose treatment solutions specifically adapted to your mental health goals, including options like:
- Depression Medication – There are several medications that are specifically designed to treat depression symptoms and the underlying causes. These work by changing how your brain processes serotonin, which impacts mood, in order to decrease feelings of sadness and the physical symptoms they cause.
- Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) – For more severe cases of depression where medication is not possible or has not been successful, TMS treatments use magnetic waves to promote brain activity and positive mood. These treatments are pain-free and non-invasive with a high success rate at providing lasting relief from symptoms.
- Talk Therapy – Psychotherapy using techniques like cognitive behavioral therapy can help you understand how your thoughts and emotions connect, and how they impact your behaviors. With this understanding, we can help you develop more positive thought processes to reduce depression.
Because persistent depressive disorder is often reoccurring throughout a person’s life, we can work with you on an ongoing basis. We stay up to date on the latest research for depression treatment in order to provide impactful and long-lasting treatments. But we also offer the support and compassion that can continue to push you towards an enduring mental wellbeing.
Dr. Sehdev meets with patients anywhere in Dallas, Fort Worth, Bedford, Southlake, and beyond via a secure telehealth platform, helping you understand and manage mood disorders. To get started, fill out the appointment request form or give us a call at 888-677-4562.