Depression is a serious mental health condition. Left untreated, it can begin to impact your work, relationships, and physical health. For many years, medication and therapy have been the only options for treating severe depression, and while they can be very effective, these solutions do not work for everyone or may not fit the profile of the patient.
Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, often shortened to TMS, is an innovative treatment for depression and OCD. This therapy uses an electromagnet to create pulses that stimulate brain activity and counteract depression. It does not require medication, surgery, or any invasive treatments, and has successfully reduced depression symptoms in many patients in 1 to 2 months.
Aware Behavioral Health offers TMS treatment in Grand Prarie, with an office near Dallas, Bedford, Fort Worth, and other areas around Texas. We can administer TMS where other depression treatments have not lessened your symptoms, and help you work towards your mental wellness. Call us today at 888-677-4562 to learn more about the possibilities with TMS therapy and set up an appointment to see if this treatment may work for you.
How Does TMS Treatment Work
Different areas of your brain, such as the prefrontal cortex, control your emotional response. Neuron activity in these areas influences your overall mood, and too little activity can result in depression and OCD.
TMS treatment uses pulses of magnetic energy to stimulate cells in the prefrontal cortex, jumpstarting neuron activity to bring you out of depression. The magnetic pulses are painless and TMS requires no surgery as other methods do. Instead, an electromagnetic coil placed on your head delivers each pulse and is calibrated to the severity of your individual symptoms.
Treatment with TMS is simple and comfortable. The first treatment will include:
- Placement of Magnetic Coil – After measurements, Dr. Sehdev places the TMS coil on your head. This is the piece that will generate the electromagnetic pulses and deliver them to your brain.
- Testing for Motor Threshold – We then measure your motor threshold with a few brief pulses. The motor threshold is the point at which the amount of stimulation causes your thumb to twitch, indicating how much energy your treatment will require.
- Treatment Proceeds – Once we have customized settings to you, we place the coil directly over your front lobe (near the front of your head) and begin the treatment.
Subsequent treatments will be similar, although we can continue to use the same motor threshold the majority of the time, saving time on that step. Each treatment lasts approximately 30 to 40 minutes, and you remain awake and aware the entire time. When a treatment session is complete, you can go immediately about your day.
Dr. Sehdev will customize your TMS treatment plan to your needs, and monitor your progress along the way. In general, a treatment plan involves sessions 5 days a week for about 4 to 8 weeks, depending on your needs.
Benefits of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
Research and science has returned successful data from TMS therapy, and many of our own patients have seen their own results. Unlike other methods of treating depression or OCD, TMS has:
- Non-Invasive – There is no surgery or implants involved in TMS. The only equipment you are in contact with is the electromagnetic coil which rests on your head. The magnetic pulses are able to move through your brain naturally.
- No Recovery Time – Electroconvulsive therapy or vagus nerve stimulation requires anesthesia that necessitates a recovery time. With TMS, you are able to drive, work, and perform normal activities as soon as treatment is over, meaning TMS therapy does not have to interrupt your routine.
- Minimal Side Effects – Unlike other depression treatments that have risks that may include seizures, weight gain, loss of libido, or sleeping problems (depending on the type of treatment), TMS has almost no reported side effects in the majority of those who receive treatment. The few potential side effects include headaches and some tenderness where the scalp comes into contact with the magnetic coil.
We are always able to discuss additional concerns as they relate to your situation before beginning any treatment. Many people are able to receive TMS without adverse effects, but we always want to be sure it is the best solution for you. We will discuss your medical history, including history of seizures, mental health conditions, medication and supplements, or any implanted metal or medical devices.
Why Receive TMS Therapy at Aware Behavioral Health
TMS is a newer treatment. It has been proven effective and safe, and is authorized for use by the FDA, but it is not yet widely offered. Aware Behavioral Health is proud to be a certified TMS provider in Dallas, offering this innovative treatment to our local patients in Bedford, Fort Worth, Grapevine, and other cities in the area.
Dr. Sehdev has trained extensively in depression treatment, OCD, and TMS and takes an individualized approach to working with you to deliver the best depression treatment for your particular circumstances.
He will start by learning about your history with depression and medications to determine whether TMS treatment is right for you. He will then develop a tailored treatment plan that can include TMS therapy, medication, and talk therapy to help you recover from depression.
If you are interested in TMS treatment for your depression in Bedford, Dallas, Fort Worth, or anywhere else in the local area – or if you want to learn more about this procedure – give us a call or send a message through the contact form on our website.