Treatment for Depression in Dallas, TX – Therapy, Medication, and More
Depression affects an average of 1 in 10 people every year. Yet despite the fact that depression is one of the most common mental health challenges for people in Dallas, Fort Worth, and the surrounding area, it is commonly misunderstood. Depression is more than a feeling of sadness. It can be emptiness, hopelessness, and physical symptoms, all of which combine to make it difficult to get through your day-to-day life.
Dr. Surin Sehdev at Aware Behavioral Health offers depression treatment in Dallas. Dr. Sehdev is compassionate and experienced and works with each patient individually to understand your unique needs and design a treatment plan to match. Contact us at 888-677-4562 or via the online form to get started with treatment.
Types of Depression We Treat
Depression is an umbrella term for several different mental health challenges and mood disorders. This is part of what makes patient-centered treatment so important since the causes, symptoms, and most effective treatment methods will vary from person to person. Dr. Sehdev works with patients experiencing all types of depressive conditions, including:
- Clinical Depression Treatment – Also known as Major Depressive Disorder (MDD), this is one of the most pervasive forms of depression. It is ongoing feelings of sadness and emptiness that may also be accompanied by physical symptoms like interrupted sleep, loss or gain of appetite, trouble concentrating, and physical pain. These symptoms are severe enough to interrupt your life, and often will not go away on their own.
- Bipolar Disorder Treatment – Previously called Manic Depression, people with bipolar disorder experience intense mood swings with alternative episodes of mania and depression. Our bipolar treatment in Dallas will help stabilize your mood and reduce the symptoms of depression, anxiety, restlessness, and impulsivity that characterizes bipolar disorder.
- Persistent Depressive Disorder – While clinical depression happens in episodes, persistent depressive disorder, or dysthymia, is chronic and can last for years. It shares the same symptoms of depression, but can seem like a part of your personality and make it impossible to find joy even at happy times. We have a range of treatments for even the most aggressive symptoms of persistent depressive disorder.
- Postpartum Depression Treatment – Although temporary feelings of sadness are common after giving birth due to changing hormones and stress, feelings that persist longer than 2 weeks and make it hard to connect with your baby are considered postpartum depression. We have solutions to help new mothers overcome postpartum depression.
- Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) Treatment – Often occuring in fall and winter when daylight hours are shorter, seasonal depression includes mental and physical symptoms that can become severe. These changes are often attributed to less sun exposure to regulate serotonin and melatonin levels. We can diagnose SAD and devise treatment to help you through winter months.
Not everyone suffering from depression is aware of it. Many people recognize that they feel unmotivated or hopeless, or that a shift in their thinking has affected their career, relationships, and mental health. In extreme cases, a person may experience suicidal thoughts. Regardless of whether these feelings have begun recently or you have been dealing with them for years, we can assess your mental and physical symptoms and provide a diagnosis to help guide our treatment plan.
Our Approach to Depression Treatment – Medication, Therapy, and More
Depression treatment is generally highly effective at minimizing the symptoms of depression or even restoring your mental health. At Aware Behavioral Health, we have access to the latest treatments for depression, and regularly deliver proven results.
This starts with our personalized approach to understanding your situation. During a meeting, you and Dr. Sehdev will discuss your experiences with depression, other mental health struggles, and your overall experiences. This provides us with a holistic view of your mental and physical health in order to guide our treatment plan. Some of the options we may use include:
- Medication for Depression – There are a variety of medications available for different depressive conditions. Based on your symptoms and medical history, we can prescribe medications to stabilize your mood and reduce mental and physical symptoms of depression and anxiety.
- Psychotherapy – Also known as talk therapy, psychotherapy can provide insight to the causes of depression and give you coping mechanisms to help you reduce symptoms. Dr. Sehdev is trained in a variety of modalities, such as cognitive behavioral therapy, to provide talk therapy that is effective for you.
- TMS – Transcranial magnetic stimulation is one of the newest and most effective treatments for depression that does not respond to other methods. It is painless and non-invasive, using magnetic pulses to stimulate regions of the brain involved in regulating your mood.
- Other Resources – From light therapy for seasonal affective disorder to lifestyle changes, we have a range of resources we can customize to your needs to help you cope or recover from depression.
With our range of depression treatments, we can provide ongoing support, adapting our solutions until you are feeling your best.
Why Choose Aware Behavioral Health for Psychiatric Treatment in Dallas
Depression can leave you feeling hopeless and like recovery is not possible. That hopelessness is a symptom of depression. The goal at our practice is to create a judgment-free environment where you will find the support and attention you need to help you reclaim your happiness and mental wellbeing.
We work with adults and teens of all ages to diagnose and treat depression in the Dallas, Bedford, Fort Worth area. Our telepsychiatry services make it possible to get depression treatment wherever you are located in Southlake, Grapevine, or elsewhere in the metro area.
If depression has been holding you back, Dr. Sehdev can discuss your options with you. Call us at 888-677-4562 or use our online form to get more information and set up an appointment.